Monday, September 20, 2010

Globe Trotting

I know I said I would only do a post a week, but I just can't keep this down for another minute.

Sooooo Saturday, as I mentioned in the video post, I went to London for the first time! I went with my school for an Orientation activity, in which we were split into teams and had to not only answer London trivia, but also find the landmark that went with the question and take a creative picture with it. After spending a good 4 hours just running to several locations around the city, let's just say, I appreciate tourists a lot more now than ever before. I thank all the locals who did their best to help my group.

As I have noted in my first post, one of my top goals while studying in England, is to cram in as much Shakespeare as I can handle, which includes viewing a performance at The Globe Theater in London’s South bank. The Globe Theater was in fact one of the original outdoor public theaters in Shakespeare’s time utilized by the companies who performed his works. And it so happens that The Globe’s season is almost over, seeing as that it is an outdoor theater.
Lately, I’ve been trying this new thing where I just do things spontaneously. Heck, why not, I’m in another country! So when the activity ended, I made the Impromptu decision to go with a few newly met friends to the Globe just to see if I could get to see a show before I cannot for a while. And sure enough, we got it only having to pay 5 pounds (don’t even ask me what that is in American dollars)! We saw Henry IV part 1 as a groundling! Groundlings were members of the audience that could not afford to sit in the seated areas and thus stood in the pit where they proceeded to interact with the players as often as they wished. A student pretty much shares the same salary as the groundlings back in the day, so my newly met friends and I saw this 3-hour (with intermission) play standing the entire time. It was worth it though. What I thought was going to be a very long and dusty History play (my first), turned out to be a well-spirited and entertaining show!
And just when my night could not get any better, who else was on the train, but none other than one of the actors in the show.
Yea, so I’m going back next weekend. I need to see the second part along with Merry Wives of Winsor and Bedlam (not by Shakespeare).
I know exactly what you guys are thinking, ‘Theater Nerd”, to which I say AMEN!
Well all I can say it keep on reading that is if this didn’t scare you off
All the best

No comments:

Post a Comment