Thursday, October 7, 2010

Can't Help But Mind the Bullocks, Sometimes

It's funny. The things that people do and say here are so similar and yet, so different. Well derrr, but seriously, the way things are here make it seem surreal. I guess the best analogy to describe it, however lame, would be if my environment back home was summed up in a color, it would be regular blue, while in England, things would be navy. Does that make sense?
Well I guess this is just simply a response to the one thing most of the study abroad advisers warned about, and that is culture shock. Some people have it in the beginning, in the end, in the middle, not at all, or the whole time of the trip. I guess I had, or at least I hope I did, last week. I don't know what it was but some things really bugged me.
List Time!
Well for one, you know how people just bump into without regarding they just rammed into a person like them? No? I sure as hell didn't know people did that until I came over. I swear it's almost like their job to bump into as they pass by. Trust me, I am not the only one who realized this. My fellow international students, especially those from America agree. I mean seriously, without even an "excuse me" and when I say something along those lines they look back with a look that can only be described as a look one would give if I spat in their food.

Another thing, I guess I was spoiled by the NYC bus system, but here the buses just go by their own terms that is if you don't indicate at the right moment that you want to get on the bus. This you can do in various forms, from waving, picking up your pace to catch up with the bus, just sticking out your hand...i guess you can improvise that. But otherwise the one opportunity to get to class on time has just passes you by.

One thing about being here, is since my accent is so different, every time I hang out at the pub with the English students, they want me to do my best English accent. But Now that I am here, I don't think I can ever do one like I would with ease back home. There are so many different variations to the English accent. I suppose that goes without saying, but geez I simply cannot figure out what sounds more Northern or London-urban. Although it is quite fun to challenge their American accent skills ;)

Anyhoo that's a few things that just reminds me that I am not home, and yet I am not in some exotic land.

3 comments:

  1. haha how are their American accents? Meeting any cute guys? Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Their american accents are as you would guess, quite stereotyoical: either valley girl or southern, that is when they actually do it

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha that figures!

    ReplyDelete